Global CPG Manufacturer Taps Malisko to Be Master Automation Integrator to Achieve High OEE for New US Production Line
A global consumer products manufacturer made the business case to install a new production / packaging line to increase capacity. The CPG manufacturer wanted the new line to achieve, then maintain, a high Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) to meet production demands. Malisko was asked to be the Lead Automation Integrator for the new line and develop a fully integrated line control with various OEM equipment.
- Achieve a high OEE line performance and optimization to meet aggressive production goals.
- Respond instantly to changes in performance effectiveness
- Connect the controllers of all machines together on a common network to exchange data
- Enable upstream and downstream machine communication.
- Institute a standard inter-processor communications schema and structure for the OEM controls engineers to follow.
- Provide consistency in the data structures and performance-related nomenclature among the OEM controllers for line performance.
- Adhere to the project’s budget and aggressive schedule.
- The “COVID-19 Effect”
- Collaboration had to be mostly “remote”
- Subcontractors from other countries had to hire 2nd and 3rd party resources to communicate and work with Malisko, the client and the other OEMs.
- Multiple language translations
- Communication among international OEMs.
- Tying together different machine types and working with different OEMs
- Very tight schedule required constant coordination with OEMs
- Constantly updating client with status of OEE data implementation.
- Connections to devices that were not natively speaking to each other
- Some machine controllers were not equipped to talk via ethernet
- Weighers and printers not configured for ethernet communications.
- Establish clear and effective communications with the control engineers of each OEM supplier.
- Maintain a regular cadence of meetings among the OEM engineers/programmers.
- Tied together the various OEM controller systems into a “Head PLC” / “Line Control PLC” configuration.
- Enabled machine performance optimization via machine-to-machine communications based on the established standard schema and data structure.
- Made all logical connections to the “Head” ControlLogix.
- Data aggregation of all work cell data to a single point for MES and OEE software platforms.
- Facilitated project and production management alignment and coordination
- Extension of the customer’s project team
- Working with operators, supervisors and leadership
- Expanded project scope during on-site startup and commissioning as requested by the client:
- We weren’t just on the floor programming controllers
- We were coordinating with all the OEMs and filtering their requests to the client
- We served as the primary conduit for communication and coordination
- Extensive on-site testing and information analysis to verify accuracy and reliability of OEE calculations
- Increase efficiency and productivity on the plant floor.
- Project scope, schedule and budget were accomplished.
- Successfully connected all work cells on one line.
- Successfully created dashboards and reported line OEE.
- Client has selected Malisko to expand the implementation to the other lines in the facility.
Want to learn more or how we can help you with your manufacturing challenges? Simply fill out the form below and someone from the Malisko team will reach out to you shortly.
500 N Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63102
Western Regional Office
4600 S Ulster Street
Denver, CO 80237
Northern Regional Office
3610 Oakwood Hills Parkway
Eau Claire, WI 54701